Using Onside without reception / signal
As many rural New Zealand properties don’t have reliable cell phone coverage, we have ensured that Onside will work regardless of your cell phone coverage.
When using the app out of cell phone coverage you will still be able to do everything you need to, but there will be limitations to some of the features and functionality.
What can Onside do offline?
When you first download Onside and log in, the app will update with all the latest properties and their details. That away, when you're out on a property with poor or no reception, you'll be able to;
- View property risks and locations;
- Advise which job you're doing;
- Check-in/out (stored on the phone until it has signal to send to us);
- Report risks and incidents (stored on the phone until it has signal to send to us);
- Show the Emergency information and markers.
What can't it do offline?
To get information as it's created there needs to be a way for our server to update the Onside app on your phone, unfortunately there's no way around that. Realtime functionality and features that require a connection will not work. These include;
- Check-in/out alerts to the property admins as they happen;
- Risk and incident notifications as they happen;
- Use of the Chat feature;
- Showing the property rules;
- High-risk job alerts;
- See other visitors checked in;
- Use of the Onside Kiosk;
- See if your staff are still checked in to a property.
How will I know if my check-in/out has been received?
In the case of poor signal/no signal, a yellow bar will appear after checking in advising ‘Low Connectivity’ as well as how many events are waiting to be sent to our server. You’ll be able to tap the retry button at any time, but it’s best to do this when you know you have signal again.
After tapping the retry button, the bar will disappear if it successfully sent to us.
Suggest an Onside Kiosk
If you regularly visit a property without cellphone coverage, you could suggest an Onside Kiosk to the property owner. The Kiosk can work on wifi and only takes a few minutes to set up.
Take a look at this kiosk demo:
If you have need help or have any questions, call us on 0800 ONSIDE or email firstname.lastname@example.org.