Here’s what you need to know
From 1 December 2017, the rules around managing hazardous substances will be transferred from the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO) to the Hazardous Substances Regulations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA).
If you are already managing your hazardous substances according to the HSNO legislation, despite the big overhaul, there won’t be much to do to ensure you’re compliant under the new regulations.
If you don’t have a current plan in place to manage hazardous substances, now is a great time to get started.
There are 5 things you need do to ensure your hazardous substances are well managed:
- Set up and keep an inventory of all hazardous substances used, handled, manufactured or stored at your property/business, including hazardous waste.
- Keep a copy of the manufacturer’s safety data sheet for all hazardous substances stored and used on your property.
- Make sure your team know how to handle, use, and store them safely. You are required to provide all relevant information, instructions, training and supervision.
- Have an emergency response plan in place. And it needs to be tested, so you know it works if you ever need it.
- Make sure you have correct labelling on products and signage on your property.
If you use OnSide for your risk management, make sure you review your risks around hazardous substances and check that the controls you have in place are still effective.
It won’t take long, and OnSide will automatically alert your team and contractors about any changes the next time they sign in.
An important part of managing hazardous substances is being prepared if something goes wrong. If you don't have an emergency plan, grab a copy of OnSide's emergency plan below. If you are using the OnSide software, you will have an electronic emergency plan. Now might be a good time to jump in and check all the details are up-to-date.